Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://repository.vnu.edu.vn/handle/VNU_123/32323
Title: Epidemiological features and risk factors of Salmonella gastroenteritis in children resident in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Authors: Thompson, C. N.
Phan, V. T. M.
Le, T. P. T.
Keywords: Bacterial infections;Epidemiology;Paediatrics;Salmonella
Issue Date: 2013
Publisher: CAMBRIDGE UNIV PRESS, 32 AVENUE OF THE AMERICAS, NEW YORK, NY 10013-2473 USA
Citation: ISIKNOWLEDGE
Abstract: Non-typhoidalSalmonellaare an important but poorly characterized cause of paediatric diarrhoea in developing countries. We conducted a hospital-based case-control study in children aged<5 years in Ho Chi Minh City to define the epidemiology and examine risk factors associated withSalmonelladiarrhoeal infections. From 1419 diarrhoea cases and 571 controls enrolled between 2009 and 2010, 77 (5 . 4%) diarrhoea cases were stool culture-positive for non-typhoidalSalmonella. Salmonellapatients were more likely to be younger than controls (median age 10 and 12 months, respectively) [odds ratio (OR) 0 . 97; 95% confidence interval (CI) 0 . 94–0 . 99], to report a recent diarrhoeal contact (8 . 1% cases, 1 . 8% controls; OR 5 . 98, 95% CI 1 . 8–20 . 4) and to live in a household with>2 children (cases 20 . 8%, controls 10. 2%; OR 2. 32, 95% CI 1 . 2–4 . 7). Our findings indicate thatSalmonellaare an important cause of paediatric gastroenteritis in this setting and we suggest that transmission may occur through direct human contact in the home.
Description: EPIDEMIOLOGY AND INFECTION Volume: 141 Issue: 8 Pages: 1604-1613 Published: AUG 2013 ; TNS07219
URI: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23010148
http://repository.vnu.edu.vn/handle/VNU_123/32323
ISSN: 1469-4409
Appears in Collections:Bài báo của ĐHQGHN trong Web of Science

Files in This Item:
Thumbnail

  • File : TNS07219.pdf
  • Description : 
  • Size : 248.14 kB
  • Format : Adobe PDF


  • Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.